A deep love for my old Church

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I was brought up as a Catholic and my Church was at the centre of all the important stages of my life.  However, in adulthood I can confirm that I am truly an atheist but I can't give up the actual fabric of the church building itself.  As a child, whilst my little playmates were busy doing their stuff, I would sneak off into the Church to say 10 Hail Marys.  I can't give up the building which has been such a comfort to me for over 70 years.  How stupide to feel such severe love for bricks and mortar!  I can't understand it myself.

• Catholic churches are a most beautiful design on this planet Earth. It's understandable to be impressed by something so grand and majestic, especially from the perspective of a child.  Life is so harsh that it's fortunate to have something that brings such great comfort.  We just need to try see past the crazy mental stuff.

• I was raised a catholic and now an atheist, even without god there is something spiritual about churches. Some feel like they have a certain power. And even without a god they do bring people comfort and together.

• I too was raised Catholoc until 14 yrs old when I refused to attend mass anymore as I couldn't make head nor tail of it especially the Latin masses we as kids were made to sit through! Still dont get religion at all except that if it brings some people comfort without them being exploited in anyway then I'm ok with that. But the thing is I cant drive past a Cathedral without visiting just to take in the majesty of the buildings. I particularly love the French and Italian ones that still have their wall paintings.