This helped

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

I read this article on the Guardian yesterday, and wanted to share, as it's helping me come to terms with my own feelings on death, and my fear of losing my mum who is losing her life to  cancer - this excerpt in particular really spoke to me:

Sister Nghiem encouraged me to practice seeing my mother in myself as a way to cope with grief. “If we realize, ‘Wow, if I lose my mom, my partner, or my friends, that person gets to live with me, gets to grow old with me, also gets to travel and learn with me.’ Then our life is not so bleak,” she said. “You reach out and love more the children that are still alive, the other parent, the friends, the strangers. We see our loved one in them, continued through them.”

I noticed Sister Nghiem’s focus on her own mind and body gave her a radical empathy with other people’s experiences. Instead of just wishing me well on my own journey as she hung up, Sister Nghiem said, “Take good care of your mother in you.”

Full article: www.theguardian.com/.../how-to-get-through-loss-advice-from-women-of-color

• Hi

I am a regular  Guardian reader but missed this one, so thanks for posting. I like what Sister Nghiem has to say about remembering people, and also about reducing news intake! I need to do that one for sure. Glad the article is helping you confront your future loss, and of course we all face losing people whether through cancer, simple old age or any other type of death.