Ask an Expert

Our experts below are here to help answer your questions. Check for which experts are available and click ‘ask a question’.

Benefits Q&A: Thursday 28 May 2015, 12-1pm (Closed)

Jayne - Macmillan
Posted by

My friend currently recieves ESA in the support group.  She works 15 hours per week under the permitted work rules.  The Jobcentre have now told her she can no longer do this as she has been doing it for 52 weeks.  Is this correct?

Sinead-Macmillan
Posted by

Jayne - Macmillan

My friend currently recieves ESA in the support group.  She works 15 hours per week under the permitted work rules.  The Jobcentre have now told her she can no longer do this as she has been doing it for 52 weeks.  Is this correct?

Hi Jayne

Thanks for your query, I hope your friend is doing ok.  If you're receiving ESA in the support group, your permitted work can continue for any length of time but you may need to let the Jobcentre know from time to time that the work you're doing falls under the category of permitted work.  This has income limits as well as hours.

Sinead

Sinead,

Welfare Rights Team, Macmillan Support Line

Priscilla - admin
Posted by

We've had another question by email:

"I'm self employed as the director of my business and I have been told I can't get ESA as I should be paying myself sick pay.  I have Hodgkin's lymphoma and will be off work for at least 6 months.  If I can't work there's no money coming in to the business to pay me.  Can I claim SSP back from the government?"

Sinead-Macmillan
Posted by

Priscilla - admin

We've had another question by email:

"I'm self employed as the director of my business and I have been told I can't get ESA as I should be paying myself sick pay.  I have Hodgkin's lymphoma and will be off work for at least 6 months.  If I can't work there's no money coming in to the business to pay me.  Can I claim SSP back from the government?"

Hi there, thanks for your query.  Unfortunately, businesses can no longer claim back the cost of Statutory Sick Pay from HMRC as they could in the past.  While you are technically entitled to SSP you will not be eligible for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), even if you have no income from your work.

You should consider claiming ESA when you have been entitled to sick pay for 28 weeks.  If you would like to discuss other options in more detail, I would advise you to contact the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000, Monday to Friday, 9am – 8pm.

Sinead,

Welfare Rights Team, Macmillan Support Line

Priscilla - admin
Posted by

Ok, it's 1pm and of the questions have been answered, so that brings us to the end of today's Q&A.

Thanks to everyone who posted a question - I really hope it's been helpful. And, of course, big thanks to   and for all their answers!

Our benefits advisers now have to go back to their work on the Macmillan Support Line, so we won't be able to take any more questions here today.

I'll be locking this discussion, which means that you won't be able to post any new replies after this. 

However, if you still have questions, you can still talk to a benefits adviser by giving us a call on the Macmillan Support Line (0808 808 0000, Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm, free from landlines and most mobile networks) or by sending them an email.

If you have any feedback about today's Q&A, we'd love to hear it - please get in touch on community@macmillan.org.uk.