Ask an Expert

Our experts below are here to help answer your questions. Check for which experts are available and click ‘ask a question’.

Genetics and family history Q&A: Wed 20 May 15, 12-1pm (Closed)

Priscilla - admin
Posted by

Ask our nurses your questions about cancer genetics and family history right here in the forums.

*20/5/2015, 4pm: The chat is now finished, and this discussion is locked to new posts. Please see below for details of other ways to contact our nurses.*

Worried about a family history of cancer? This is your chance to ask the experts about cancer genetics, for example: what cancer types run in families, genetic testing, genetic counselling and risk-reducing treatments.

Nurses Liz and Josie will be here to answer your questions from 12-1pm on Wednesday 20 May.

Josie, Macmillan cancer information nurse

To ask a question, click the 'reply' button and post a reply to this discussion thread. You will need to log in to or join the Online Community to post a question. 

If you won't be here for the chat, you can post your question any time before the chat, and our nurses will answer it when they get here. To make sure you see your answer, tick 'email me replies' when you write your post.

If you don't want to register for the community, you can email us on community@macmillan.org.uk and we'll ask the question for you - just mark your email 'webchat'.

Outside of webchat times, you can speak to a nurse by calling the free Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000 (Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm, free from landlines and most mobile networks).

Although we make every effort to ensure accuracy, Macmillan Cancer Support cannot accept liability for this information, or for third-party information such as other websites to which we link. If you are concerned about your health you should consult your doctor. Please bear in mind that your question can be read by others - don't post your contact details or any other information that could personally identify you.

Pat H
Posted by

I was diagnosed with DCIS April 2014 and have a 31 year old daughter. Can she be tested for the BRACA gene at her own Doctors surgery. We haven't found any other female family members with breast cancer but my Brother had Prostate cancer and his children have to be tested regularly , When can she start having Mammograms, will she have to wait until her 40s? Thanks.

Patwas65now69

rosalyn.s
Posted by

Hi

I was diagnosed with BC in 2014 and it was hormonal, whatI want to ask is does everybody who has cancer get tested to see if they have the BRCA gene? I have two daughters and 1 son and although no member of my family had BC (mum,gran sisters) my dad and brother both died of bowel , liver,colon cancer and I am just a bit concerned for my kids 

Thank you

Rosalyn

Rosalyn x

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi Rosalyn,

From what I understand BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 only has connections with Breast and Ovarian cancers in women and Breast and Prostate cancers in men.

You can get more background information by reading this from the Royal Marsden  'Beginners Guide to BRCA 1 and BRCA 2'

Hope this helps, G n' J

Debra.s
Posted by

Hello, I lost my lovely dad in 2004 to Prostate Cancer. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer - Grade 2 in November 2009 at 47. I had a mastectomy, RT and am currently on Tamoxifan. I have been told by my Oncologist I will stay on medication for another 5 years. Not sure if that will be Tamoxifan or not as dependant on Estrogen levels.  Most non serious ailments my dad suffered from I have also had. So to be honest it was always in the back of my mind I would be diagnosed with some sort of cancer. I am concerned about whether I have  inherited the BRACA Gene. Would you think I should be tested and how do I get this done ?

MCW
Posted by

If a parent has plasma cell leukaemia (I understand rare?) is it possible to test for a genetic marker of this and can I have such a test on the NHS?

L26H
Posted by
Hello This is something I think about a lot. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer at 50 and had a mastectomy. Nearly 4 years later she seems to be doing ok. However 2 years ago my dad was suddenly diagnosed with ocular melanoma at 56 and lost his eye. 6 months ago, after 18 months of trying to get some sort of check up, my dad was told it had spread to his liver. Last month we were told it was terminal and nothing they could do. He has recently started a clinical trial. I believe my maternal grandmother dies from cancer of the womb aged 46 when my mum was young. Are my sister and I at higher risk of getting any sort of cancer now and can we do anything to reduce the risk? Thank you.
Priscilla - admin
Posted by

Thanks for all the questions, everyone. Our nurses will be here to answer them at 12, so keep them coming!

Priscilla - admin
Posted by

We've just received this question by email:

"My mum has recently passed away from stage 4 ovarian cancer at the age of 50. She had been fighting it for 2 years! I saw on the news that they are bring out a test to see if it runs in your family. I was wondering how I go about this as me and my sister would be interested."

Mike_R
Posted by

I had breast cancer and I have finished all my treatment last July. I have just been told that I have the BRAC2 gene, which we're almost certain came from my mother's side of the family. I've been told that there is now a greatly increased chance of getting Prostate cancer. How do I go about getting screening set up? Is just a call to my GP to get a referral?

Bubbleblower
Posted by

Hi,

My maternal grandmother died with breast cancer as did her daughter my maternal aunt and now I am awaiting rads having just had a lumpectomy. I have Jewish ancestry on my fathers side. My sons are 45....38 and daughter 34. My husbands sister also died of breast cancer so my kids are connected to it on both sides of their family. What would be your advice for my children? To test or not to test and would we have to pay because that would be prohibitive.

Thank you

Wendy1956

Bubbleblower
Posted by

Sorry should have added that I am awaiting results of lumpectomy etc and treatment plan on Friday.

Wendy1956

Pixie belle
Posted by
I was diagnosed at 37 with grade 3 ductal cancer with high grade DCIS it was ER positive 6/8 and PR positive 7/8 and HER2 positive with 5/15 nodes affected, my maternal grandmother had thyroid cancer and paternal grandmother bowel cancer , my mother has 2 cousins diagnosed with breast cancer in their 30s and my brother diagnosed with testicular cancer at 33 , I've been told there is no need for gene testing , but I have 2 daughters and a son and am obviously worried for them Thank you in adavance
Denise D
Posted by

Hello, I was diagnosed with IDC hormone receptive breast cancer April 2014 I am now 58 years old.  My mum died at 59 of lung cancer.  I have two sons 30 and 35,  the 35 year olds paternal grandmother died of breast cancer.  Would this make him more prone to prostate cancer, and should he be tested? Thank you.  Denise  

gym60
Posted by

Hi

I have been wondering if there is such thing as a faulty gene in families that makes them more at risk of cancer.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and at the same time my middle son had hodgkin lymphoma.  My mother died of small cell lung cancer at 57 and her father died of hodgkin lymphoma at the same age.  Different cancers but is it bad luck or posdible genetic link

Thanks

Kare

KBlyth