Ask a Dietitian

Ask our volunteer Dietitian, Alice, your questions about diet and cancer and she’ll aim respond within 3 working days.

Head & Neck Radiotherapy and Eating Problems

chrisuk1
Posted by

Dear Alice,

I just wanted to bring to your attention an amazing mouth rinse called "Caphosol".

About 2 weeks in for radiotherapy to my parotid gland I developed quite severe oral mucositis. It was much too painful for me to eat and I was surviving on Fortisip. I had read good reports for Caphosol on various hospital websites and paid privately for the first box. To my amazement after a couple of days the soreness and ulcers almost totally disappeared and I could eat again. My doctor has now kindly prescribed it for me. It is virtually tasteless and does not sting. Patients do have to rinse with the solution 4 to 10 times a day. Please note that it does not help with dry mouth or sense of taste, but at least I can eat again.

Kind regards,

Chris

Alice-Macmillan
Posted by

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you have found something that works well for you. Mucositis can really limit eating!

Best Wishes

Alice

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.