bereavement

i lost my granddad to cancer last week I'm feeling very sad i have a learning disability and I'm struggling to cope the funeral is on the 16 the December what can i do to prepare for the long day on Thursday   he is getting cremated im worried that he will be in pain but i know he has gone please help me tell me what i need to do thanks lynsey

• Hello Lynsey,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. It’s natural to be worried about how you will cope with the loss of your granddad. It’s an extremely sad time for you and funerals can be hard to face.

Grief can affect you in many ways and how you are feeling can change throughout the day.

If possible, it may help to visit the crematorium prior to his funeral on the 16th. Perhaps a family member or friend could support you to do this. They can explain what is going to happen and you will be able to get a sense of the place.

Your granddad is no longer in pain and will not be in pain now. Try to remember him when he was well and recall the good times that you spent with him.

Share with your family and friends about how you feel and the fond memories that you have.

I am not sure what type of learning disability that you have but I hope, you may find this guide on What can help you feel better when someone dies useful.

I wish you well.

Take care and Best wishes

Linda J. (Macmillan Information Nurse)