Hormone Treatment

Hello.

I see on your Prostate Cancer Forum that Hormone treatman is only for three years,is this correct. I have been on Zoladex since

August 2019. So does this mean next year I will have to stop the injections, is so what happens then.My last P.S.A reading was

0.29 in July 2020.

Regards Derek

• Hi Derek,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to our online community.

Hormone therapies such as Zoladex are used to treat many people with prostate cancer. It is used in different ways depending on whether your cancer has spread or not. You don’t say what stage your cancer is, so I hope you don’t mind if I give you the information for each stage of prostate cancer.

For early (localised) prostate cancer that hasn’t spread outside the prostate and cancer that has spread just outside the prostate (locally advanced), hormone  therapy can be given before and alongside your main treatment and for up to 3 years after.

If you’ve had  treatment such as surgery, radiotherapy or brachytherapy that aimed to get rid of your cancer you’ll have follow up appointments for at least 2 years. Your team will explain how long you will continue to be followed up for and where your appointments will be. You will continue to have your PSA levels checked during this time and your GP may also continue to monitor them after this.

If you have prostate cancer that’s spread to other parts of your body (advanced), it’s likely that you’ll have hormone therapy as a life-long treatment. As well as regular PSA tests, your doctor will check for changes in your symptoms and you may have regular scans. If there are changes in your cancer you may be offered another type of hormone therapy or a different type of treatment.

It’s normal to have all sorts of emotions if your treatment is coming to an end, these feelings usually settle over time. You can speak to your GP if you find it difficult to cope. It’s great to see that you’ve had a look at our prostate cancer forum. Some people find that it really helps to share their experiences with others in a similar situation.

I hope this helps, if you have further questions or would like to talk things through you can call us on our support line on0808 808 0000, 7 days a week, from 8am-8pm.

Take care

Rachel

• Rachel.Thank you for your reply. I was first diagnosed in 2019(june) and was started on Bicalutamide for two months. My first P.S.A reading was 112,I only knew that through a routine blood test.I had no systems.When I saw the Consultant he said I think it is Cancer,which it turned out to be.I then had to go for a scan to see if it had spread which it did only just though.A mild back pain fro time to time thats all.I have since 2019 had a blood test from my local Doctor and was told by phone from my Consultant that P.S.A was now 0.29 as mentioned in my email.

Regards Derek