Feeling worried

I had a pelvic MRI scan a few months ago as I have been having problems with my periods. when I spoke to a doctor about the results he told me that I'd been checked for ovarian cancer and that it was negative even though I hadn't been told that I was being checked for any type of cancer let alone ovarian cancer and that has left me feeling really worried about it now.

is this normal or am I being silly?

• Hi Nannasgirl1982,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the online community. I’m so sorry to read that you’ve been so worried since talking to your doctor. It’s great that you’re reaching out for a little more information and support with this.

Many people worry about cancer at some point in their lives. It’s not silly at all to be concerned when you’ve had investigations and a doctor mentions cancer to you.

It’s likely that your doctor referred you for the scan to give them a better idea of what may be causing your symptoms. Pelvic MRI scans are useful in identifying problems with the ovaries and womb such as fibroids, endometriosis, and ovarian cysts as well as cancerous and other non-cancerous growths. The MRI would look at all your pelvic organs for any abnormality not specifically cancer.

The reassuring thing is that no cancer was detected during your investigations. If you’re still having problems with your periods, we would certainly suggest you speak to your GP so that they can do further tests if necessary, to offer you appropriate treatment.

We’d also suggest you talk to your doctor and explain that you’re worried, they’ll be able to offer support and explain why they felt the test was necessary for you. If you find that your worries are taking over your life there are self-strategies, such as relaxation exercises that can help you to manage your feelings. If this doesn’t help or you may benefit from more formal support such as cognitive, behavioural therapy where you can learn to manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave.

I hope this helps a little

Take care

Rachel