Pet/ct scan

Hi, i know how busy you are, but i was hoping to make a quick query?

I had my pet/ct scan results today but the consultant was very rushed and i didnt get chance to ask any questoins

I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer in march, with spread to one lymph node.

Today the scan results verdict was 'complete metabolic response' which my consultant said was good news!

But there was uptake in my lungs of the glucose which the person interpreting the scan felt was 'probably' not cancer but was a 'sarcoid like reaction'

I didnt get chance to ask what a sarcoid response means or how concerned i should be about it?. Googling suggests it is inflammation? should i be overly concerned?

Thanks and sorry for bothering you.

Trev

• Hi TrevW,

Thanks for your post and I hope you are finding the online forum helpful.

Its, good your consultant is pleased with the outcome of your treatment.

We would always advise discussing any concerns you may have with your treatment team as they would have the greatest understanding of your situation. As I’m sure you are already aware of.

Consultations can sometimes seem very rushed and a lot of information is discussed in a short period of time and you don’t always remember everything you want to ask about. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be.

Regarding the wording “sarcoid like reaction” could possible be caused by a granulation which is usually benign in origin which could be related to an inflammatory response. Sorry for the jargon.

But as I’ve already said we would always recommend confirming the interpretation of this from your consultant as they would have the greatest understanding of the context of this in the written report.