Hair growth after chemo

hi there, I don’t know if I’m on the right page to ask but I just wanted some advice about hair growth after chemo. My last chemo was 5 weeks ago, this is the growth I have up to now, my worry is that it’s so fine and there are many gaps, just seems to be growing longer but not filling out, is this Normal? I had very thick hair before I lost it all. 

thanks in advance, 

jinnine 

• Hi Jinnine (Jcoulst),

Thank you for getting in touch with us and welcome to our online community. I hope that you are recovering well after your chemotherapy treatment.

When your hair begins to grow back after treatment has finished, many people find that it’s different to what it was before. Sometimes people find hair growth can be patchy in the first weeks after treatment. It can take between 3 and 6 months for your hair to grow back with the same coverage as before.

Cancer Hair Care has some good advice about looking after your new hair and have other support services that you might find helpful.

It can be quite difficult and frustrating waiting for your hair to grow back after treatment. For many women, losing their hair is what makes them feel like a cancer patient. There’s no right or wrong way to feel about this, but if you feel you need to talk about it please don’t hesitate to give our support line a call. It might also help to speak with others who have experienced hair loss (and regrowth!). Our online community is a great place to connect with other breast cancer patients, or Breast Cancer now offer one-to-one support with their Someone Like Me scheme.

I hope this information is helpful, but please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if you feel you need some further information or support.

Best wishes

Alison P

Cancer Information Nurse