Haematuria clinic

I‘ve been urgently referred to my local haematuria clinic (at the Churchill in Oxford) and got some information in the post but have been left with questions and hoping you can help. 

Why do I need slippers - I don’t own any so would have to buy them specially and don’t know if it’s worth it or if I could just wear flip flops instead. It might sound trivial but I’m so stressed that they haven’t explained why I need them.

Why haven’t they mentioned covid in any of the appointment info like some hospitals do - no reminder to stay away if you have symptoms, nothing about safety, really worried does this mean people can attend this clinic even with symptoms. 

Is a really small urine sample ok it doesn’t say how much you need. My GP was ok with small ones but will they be. I can only go little and often right now.

thanks for any help 

• Hi Mintykat,

Thanks for getting in touch. My name is Kat, I am one of the Macmillan Cancer Information Nurses on the support line. I can only imagine how stressed you are feeling about attending the haematuria clinic.

Normally when patients are in hospital they are advised to bring slipper with a back on them to reduce the possibility of falls whilst in hospital. This does not mean you have to go out and buy slippers. Hospitals advise that patients wear enclosed slippers as these the reduce that chances of tripping. Some patients prefer not to bring slippers with them and prefer to wear their own shoes. You can bring flipflops if this is what you prefer, though hospitals do feel that these can be a tripping hazard.

Attending hospital is normally stressful however in these times of COVID-19 it can feel even more stressful. I am unsure why your hospital has not mentioned COVID-19 guidelines. However, all patients should be advised to stay away if they have any symptoms. You may want to phone the haematuria clinic to discuss what measures are being taken to keep you safe.

The government have advised that anyone showing symptoms isolate for 10 days. This should mean that anyone with symptoms should not be attending the clinic.

A small urine sample should be sufficient for the clinic to be able to carry out any tests required. If they need more urine you can explain that you can only pass small amounts. Rest assured that they will understand as this happens often. If they need more urine they may ask you for another sample whilst you are there.

You mentioned that you are feeling very stressed about attending this appointment. There are ways that you can manage your anxiety before your attending appointment or even whilst you are there. Anxiety UK, have a blog about ways to manage anxiety. These steps can help you feel more in control about attending your appointment and may help reduce your anxiety.

Speaking to one of our nurses about your appointment can be helpful too. We can take the time to listen to your concerns and explain what may happen when you attend the clinic. Sometimes talking to someone about how you feel can make you feel better.

Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if you want to talk or need anymore information.

Best wishes and take care,

Kat

Macmillan Cancer Information Nurse