psa results when you have prostate cancer

I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with prostate cancer I get my psa taken every 3monthes the last taken in June was 8.5. I’m still on watch and wait. Could I ask my urologist could I get it taken out. Are there any problems wit this operation.?

• Hi superhoulie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us and welcome to our online community.

Sometimes being on the watch and wait programme can be difficult to cope with, particularly if you are seeing your PSA levels creeping up with every test. So it’s understandable why you would be thinking that removing the prostate would take away this worry for you.

It may be that if you aren’t showing any symptoms, your doctors are happier with watchful waiting than treatment as the side effects or treatments themselves can have their own problems. Surgery can be good if the cancer is completely contained inside the prostate, however, the side effects can be quite difficult to deal with.

However, we would recommend that you discuss all your treatment options with your consultant. If he agrees that switching to more active treatment is the best thing for you, it can still be a difficult decision for you to make.

Some men find that writing down the advantages and disadvantages for each treatment and the effect it will have on their lives can help make things clearer. Of course, you can always talk it through with one of the nurses on our support line.

I hope this information has been helpful but please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if we can be of any further help.

Best wishes

Alison P

Cancer Information Nurse