Swollen Limbs


My mother was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. She got Metastasis on her Left Lung on October. During her last appointment her Oncologist explained she has received all chemotherapy available and now she will only receive pain medication as chemotherapy didn’t work and her cancer is resistant. She has swollen feet and her left arm, same as the affected breast has swollen.

What could I do to reduce this? Does this requires taking her to the emergency room?

She takes Oxycodine pills and Morphine shots for the pain, but sleeping is difficult and she struggles to find a comfortable position to sleep properly. Is there anything I could do to help her sleep better? 


  • Hi MindoverMatter06,

    Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the online community. It’s only natural to wonder about the best course of action when someone has new or worsening symptoms.

    Because there can be different reasons for limb swelling we would recommend that you or your mother contact the 111 service tonight. They will be able to assess her symptoms by phone, agree the best course of action and arrange further assessment if needed. It is important that your mother is present during the call.

    In respect of your mother’s sleep this information might be helpful to read. It’s full of hints and tips that can improve insomnia.

    Sometimes using additional pillows or having a mattress overlay can help. If your mother has a district nurse they will be able to give advice about this and supply specialist equipment if needed. There are other community-based teams that can help too depending on her needs.

    Caring for someone with an advanced cancer is rewarding but it can be tiring too. Being in touch with others in a similar situation often helps. We have a family and friends and carers only group that might be worth looking into.

    I hope your Mother’s symptoms improve soon and if we can help with anything please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.

    Take care, Linda (Cancer Information Nurse Specialist)