We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Ask a nurse

Do you have a question about cancer? One of our Cancer Information Nurse Specialists will aim to respond within 2 working days.

Confusion on how to proceed

Posted by

Hi my wife was diagnosed to have follicular NHL six years ago. She has been on a watch and wait regime... We just had a child five months ago and she suddenly developed distension of abdomen and nausea two days ago..usg abdomen revealed enlarged peripancreatic lymph nodes and minimal ascites,. The doctors at Stanford advice for a pet CT and a biopsy.. and suggested treatment maybe required... Her blood tests showed up with a normal ldh 

The doctors in India suggested to wait 

Confused about how to take it from here

Lorraine - Macmillan

Hi maxshetty,

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to the online community.

It can be confusing when you are getting views from doctors in different countries

In the UK, when a person develops sudden symptoms such as what you are describing with you wife. The team would want to do further tests to see if the NHL is active and causing the symptoms. The multidisciplinary team would then discuss all your wife’s results and plan the best way forward.

It can be difficult after years of watch and wait to think that treatment may now be required. If treatment is recommended, then your wife can take time to decide if she wishes to go ahead with this.

Getting support from others here on the online community may help. It’s a big decision for you and your wife to make. Perhaps speaking with her team again may help her decide if she wants to go ahead with the tests then take things one step at a time.

Sometimes it is easier to chat this through with one of the nurses. If so just give us a call on the Macmillan Support Line.

Best wishes and take care

Lorraine-Macmillan Information Nurse Specialist

Posted by

Thanks so much Lorraine.. yeah we r finding it difficult to accept because she is completely fine... But I don't want to delay anything if it's the best for her