Break down of relationship with consultant?

What options do I have when the relationship with the consultant at my local hospital breaks down?

  • Hi 

    Thanks for your question to our Information and Support Advisers, Nat and Martin. I hope you don't mind but I've moved your question into our 'Ask a Nurse' section on the Community as they'll be best able to answer your question. They'll aim to respond within 2 working days.

    Best wishes,


    Macmillan Community Team 

  • Hi Rauol,

    Thanks for getting in touch with us and welcome to our Online Community.

    We’re sorry to read that your relationship with your consultant at your local hospital has broken down. When this happens it’s natural to want to know what options you may have.

    There are a couple of options that we can suggest that you try.

    1. If your unhappy with the treatment that you have received, then you can complain. This might be helpful to do, as sometimes things can be resolved at a local level.
    2. However, if you don’t think the issues can be resolved then you can ask to be referred to a different consultant. There might be an option to see a different doctor from the team.
    3. If not, then you can ask either your GP or the hospital consultant to refer you to a different hospital for a second opinion. This might mean that you have to travel further to be seen by a consultant who specialises in your type of cancer. Don’t worry about doing this as doctors are professionals and should be more than happy to help you.

    Sometimes it can help to talk to others who have gone through a similar experience. If you think that would be helpful to do, you can start a discussion and talk to others.

    Sometimes it can help talk to one of our nurses on our Support Line. We are open 7days a week, 8am till 8pm. You can call us on 0808-808-0000.

    Best wishes and take care.

    Ellen-Macmillan Online Digital Nurse Specialist.