We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Ask a benefits adviser (closed)

Questions about benefits? Our adviser Moira is here this November to support carers for Carers Rights Day on the 24th. This session is now closed.
This session is currently closed

Go to our Ask an Expert section for further help or support. You can still read through the previous questions and answers. 

Help with being a carer

Posted by Anonymous

I work part-time to care for my son over the last 6 months, only problem with that is because I only get paid for hours worked, that hasnt been a lot, as i've had to take quite a lot of time off work to care for him. Does that make me a carer. Have now got debt as a result.

Moira - Macmillan
Posted by

Hi there,

Thank you for your enquiry.  I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with debt as a result of time taken off as a carer. 

You may be eligible for Carer's Allowance if your earnings are not over £116 per week net and if your son receives one of the following benefits:

1. Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component 

2. Disability Living Allowance Middle or Higher Rate of Care Component

It would certainly be worthwhile getting in contact with your local Benefits Adviser to check if you may be eligible for any other benefits like Tax Credits/Universal Credit, Housing Benefit (if you rent your accommodation) and/or Council Tax Reduction, as well as possible grants to help you at this difficult time.  They should also be able to refer you to your local Debt Advice Team to assist you with your outstanding debts.  Alternatively, you can contact our Support Line for more information on 0808 808 0000.

Hope this has been helpful.

Kind regards

Moira - Macmillan Project Worker