Ask a benefits adviser (closed)

Questions about benefits? Our adviser Moira is here this November to support carers for Carers Rights Day on the 24th. This session is now closed.
This session is currently closed

Go to our Ask an Expert section for further help or support. You can still read through the previous questions and answers. 

Widows pension

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous

My husband has stage 4 terminal cancer and is getting worried trying to sort out our finances for me. He asked me to find out how much a widows pension is and whether I will still get it as I get a private pension in my own name. Many thanks, Lesley [edited]

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous

My husband wants to sort out my future income as he has stage 4 terminal cancer. He asked me to find out what the widow's pension is and whether I would still get one if I am on a private pension.

Many thanks, Lesley [edited]

Moira - Macmillan
Posted by

Hi Lesley,

I am very sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. 

The Widow's Pension has now been changed to Bereavement Support Payment.  You would be eligible for Bereavement Support Payment if you are under State Pension age and your husband has paid 25 weeks worth of National Insurance Contributions.  If you have children under 20 in full-time education, you would be eligible for a one-off payment of £3500 then a monthly payment of £350 per month for up to 18 months.  If you have no children, the one-off payment would be £2500 then a monthly payment of £250 per month for up to 18 months.  Bereavement Support Payment is disregarded as income and does not affect other benefits for up to 52 weeks. 

If you are over State Pension age and you reached this age before 6.4.16, your State Pension will be based on you husbands National Insurance Contributions and will be adjusted following his death.  You will receive this on top of your Private Pension.

If you reached State Pension age after 6.4.16, you can inherit an extra top-up payment within your New State Pension.  Again, this would not be affected by your Private Pension.

With regard to any Private/Occupational Pensions your husband may have, I would advise you to contact the individual pension providers to find out how much can be transferred as this can vary from scheme to scheme. 

In addition to the above, I would advise that you contact your local Benefit Adviser to request a benefits check be carried out, as you might be eligible for additional means-tested benefits/grants. 

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Moira - Macmillan Project Worker