Employment and pay



I’m currently on sick leave from work as I’m caring for my husband full time. I only have a certain amount of sick pay. I’m concerned about:

1.What happens when sick pay runs out if I’m not able to return

2. Can they start proceedings for me to be sacked if I am off for extended periods?

Many thanks 


  • Hi Emilie,

    If you are unfit for work when your Statutory Sick Pay runs out, you may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit (depending on where you live).  If your husband already receives one of these benefits, you can be added onto his claim, if appropriate. 

    You may also wish to consider applying for Housing Benefit (if you live in rented accommodation) and/or Council Tax Reduction if you haven't done so already.

    I would recommend that you contact your local Benefits Adviser so that a full benefits check can be carried out to check you are receiving everything that you and your husband are entitled to.  You can also get further benefit advice from our Support Line on 0808 808 0000. 

    I regret that I cannot comment on your employee rights, however, our Support Line have experts in this field and will be able to give you advice on 0808 808 0000. 

    The underlined areas are links to more information and I hope this will help reduce your concerns.

    Kind regards