Benefits post bereavement.

Hi Moira.

I had to give up work to look after my Mum at the end of 2015. She died in February this year. I am still a carer for my Dad who has declined in health and is considering ending treatment. I receive carers allowance for him so didn't have to re-apply on my Mum's death.

When the time arrives and my Dad has also died I will find myself with no means of support at least until probate has completed. What little savings I had have all but gone.

What would I be able to get help with if he has died? Does carers allowance stop immediately he dies ..or if he's in a hospice? 

I have a small mortgage. I can't work as his care needs are increasing.

Very worried as I'll have a huge gap on my CV need to find work and be grieving. I hope if he stops treatment in a planned way he can pay for funeral at that point.

I hate posting this when he's still with us but I worry I'll be struggling and grieving.

Thank you.


  • Hi Jenny,

    I am very sorry to hear about your dad's decline in health and your worries around this.  I can appreciate that this has been very difficult for you to write about. 

    Unfortunately, it is not a straightforward answer relating to your Carer's Allowance.  If your dad were to go into a NHS funded hospice, this would be treated as if it were a hospital situation and your Carer's Allowance would stop at the same time as his disability benefit (after 28 days).  If the hospice was a private/charity funded organisation, then your Carer's Allowance can continue for up to 12 weeks (it may stop sooner if there have been any breaks in care within the previous 26 weeks).   Carer's Allowance can continue for up to 8 weeks following your dad's death as long as you continue to meet the other qualifying conditions. 

    In addition to Carer's Allowance and depending on which area you live in, you may also be eligible for a top-up of Income Support or Universal Credit, then further down the line you could make an application for Job Seekers Allowance.  If you have a Limited Capability for Work, you may be eligible for Employment and Support Allowance instead. 

    I would advise that you speak with your local Benefits Adviser for more information on your particular circumstances, as you may also be eligible for additional benefits such as Council Tax Reduction.

    The Macmillan Support Line will also be able to give you practical advice regarding your outstanding mortgage on 0808 808 0000. 

    Wishing you all the very best.

    Kind regards