Accessing MacMillan support

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Hi there,

My friend is in remission from a haematological cancer. They also have several autoimmune diseases, and due to a recent trauma, they have stopped producing bone marrow. Their oncologist has sought to refer them to MacMillan, but has said the referral must come from a GP. My friend is unable to register with a GP in London, where they currently reside (none are taking new patients), and their last GP was in Belfast; that GP says they cannot make referrals in England. 

Is there anything you can do to help my friend? They are very worried and feeling very isolated. They have brain fog and are very weak, so having to do so much work simply to get a referral is really difficult for them. I'd like to do anything I can to support them in accessing your help. 

Best wishes,

R

• Hello

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. I’m sorry to hear about your friend. We are here to help support them and you too. We are here to offer emotional support and guidance. In addition to the community, we have a freephone support line 0808 808 00 00 which is open from 8am – 8pm seven days a week. You can also get in touch with us via our online webchat service if you prefer. And there may also be local face to face support locally which you can find here.

In terms of getting registered with a GP, it is unusual to hear that the GP has refused to register your friend, particularly if they are now residing in that area. Are there any other GP practises in the locality that they could try to register with? Have a look here at how to get registered.

It may also be worth getting in touch with one of our cancer information nurses here who could perhaps provide you with further guidance about the process involved.

Please do stay in touch with us.

David, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.