Lung cancer with brain mets

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 years ago. She was doing so well up until the new year when we were told her treatment had stopped working. Whilst waiting for blood tests to decide on the next line of treatment we discovered that it has also spread to her brain. She has started new treatment and also on steroids but I’m finding it really hard to see improvements and fear the worst. 

• Hello

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis, it is good to hear that she had previously been doing well, I imagine now being told the treatment has stopped working and the cancer has spread, has hit hard, so I am glad you are reaching out. Hopefully the new treatment offers some hope, as you mention it is hard to see improvements, that is understandable  your mum is going through so much and there maybe improvements there - it just might be hard to see them currently. Are you able to talk to your mum's consultant and team as I'm sure they will be able to talk through things with you too. 

there is such a lot going on for you and your mum, we are here to support you. You are welcome to contact us on our helpline 0808 808 0000 or use Webchat or Email  - we are here 7 days a week 8am - 8pm. We provide a place to talk through how you are feeling, a listening ear. we also give information around practical support and how to access it. We have nurses for clinical information if ever needed and we have a money team who look at allowances, benefits, grants and financial services such as power of attorney, wills, pensions etc and a Work support team who provide information around your rights at work, if necessary. 

Are you aware of our Family and Friends Forum on here? It would be worth taking a look at it for additional support. 

We also have our Booklets which it maybe helpful to take a look at- we have a range of information around the emotional impact of cancer and supporting someone with cancer. 

If you would like to, you can search for local support here 

Please do keep in touch, you are welcome to contact us anytime you need to. 

Katie, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.