Hospice care

Hi,

My mum was fast-tracked out of hospital to go home. She is receiving support but I am worried about her. I live 4 hours away and have to work. I have suggested the idea of hospice care rather than care at home. The long periods between visits especially at night concerns me. She is considering this but I am lost how to get information or help.She is in north Lincolnshire.

Many thanks in advance. 

• Hello

I am sorry to hear you have been left feeling so worried about Mum coping at home after being fast tracked from hospital. I am glad you have got in touch.

Who is supporting Mum at home currently Links1sparky may I ask? Does she have any District or palliative nurses, or Carers visiting home to help at all? Before the hospital discharge someone home, it should be that their necessary ongoing care and support needs are considered and prepared for in the form of a discharge plan, so they can return home safely. And so, I wonder if there was any ongoing medical and practical support put in place as part of this process?

(Our booklet Going Home from Hospital has more information on the discharge process if helpful).

If you would like Mum to access Hospice Care Lincs1sparky, do speak to her GP. Whilst at home they are a main source of support and can refer for additional support and care. Hospice UK also have lots of helpful information on their website regarding hospice care, as well as having an online tool which allows you to search for  hospice care services in your area.

If it was that Mum wanted to remain at home, she may be able to access hospice at home support Lincs1sparky.

The Macmillan Nurses who visit people at home provide palliative care and would be referred for through the GP (or via the hospital team). Macmillan Nurses usually do not provide support through the night however, whereas this may be something that Marie Curie Nurses can provide if available in your area, and so with this being a concern, do discuss Mum’s specific needs and any concerns with the GP Lincs1sparky.

The GP can also refer for practical support from the local Adult Social Care Team, who can assess what needs Mum may have at home and help arrange support to help cope. For example, it would be the Adult Social Care team who could help explore support with things like washing, dressing, meals, equipment and modifications. You can also refer to Adult Social Care Support yourself, just use the link above to find Mum’s local team.

It sounds as if getting Mum the right support is feeling really worrying Lincs1sparky, and a lot to cope with being 4 hours away and whilst trying to manage work too. How have you been coping? Do you have much support around you?

Please know we are here to support you as much as needed going forward Lincs1sparky. On the Macmillan Support Line we are here for emotional support and a space to talk things through. We also have our team of Cancer Information Nurses available for general medical questions: whether that be about hospice or palliative care or any other aspect of Mum’s diagnosis. Additionally, we have our Money and Work Service on the Line if you have any questions around your rights at work at the moment or financial support available. The Support Line is available 8am-8pm, 7 days a week on: 0808 808 00 00 or via web chat

I hope this information is helpful. Please do just get back in touch if you have any questions or need further support. 

Take care,

Jenna 

Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days
    a week, 8am-8pm) or by email. ‘