Advice for family caregivers regarding how much we need to shield/isolate

My husband is currently going through Chemo and then stem cell transplant treatment and needs to therefore be extra careful regarding protecting himself from infection.  I am wondering how much I also need to isolate during this time?  I have given up work/training because it involved in-classroom interaction.  I do wear masks whenever I am inside.  However, we have disagreement whether I should be able to go to social functions on my own.  And advice on how to manage this/what level of care I need to take?

• Hello

I’m sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with cancer and that understanding the rules for isolating and keeping him safe whilst he has treatment are feeling unclear. It must be really hard if you are both thinking different things. I am glad you have got in touch.

Has your husband been managing okay with his treatment AbbyC?

It sounds as if the best thing would be to speak with your husband’s healthcare team to find out what actions are needed to keep your husband safe. Working closely with him, they will have a clear idea of his individual health needs and so be able to advise if there are any necessary additional considerations to have in mind aside from the general government guidance at the moment for those classed as vulnerable.  

You also mention having given up work to limit interaction AbbyC which I’m conscious is a big change. How has this been for you?

In light of all you and your husband are coping with at the moment it feels important to highlight our Macmillan Support Line for on going support:

Just in case you’re not aware, the Macmillan Support Line is available 8am-8pm, 7 days a week on:0808 808 00 00 or via web chat. On the Support Line we have our Money and Work Service who are available if you have any questions on your rights at work as a loved one or financial questions/concerns. In addition, our Information Nurses are available to support with general medical questions as well as our Information and Support Team on hand to provide emotional support and help with practical issues.

I do hope the above information is helpful AbbyC.

Please do just get back in touch if you have any questions.

Take care.

Take care,

Jenna 

Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days
    a week, 8am-8pm) or by email. ‘