Two weeks left!

My loved one was unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer in August this year. Two weeks later, he was told it had metastasized. A week later, he was told he was terminal, so we all knew the outcome. Yesterday, he was told he only had two weeks left, if he was lucky!! We are all devastated by this. Not because we didn't know he was going to die, but the brutality of it. How do the experts know it's such a short space of time, and what's the point in saying it anyway, when he already knew he was terminal. The distress he's now in is unbearable as we can't be with him due to Covid rules.

• Hello

I am so sorry to hear that your loved one has been told they have two weeks to live. I can hear that news has understandably been incredibly upsetting and come as such a shock. It sounds as if things feel as if they have been moving so quickly since their diagnosis in August. It’s only natural you’d be left with lots of questions and finding this all so hard to make sense of. I am really glad you have got in touch.

With you having questions around how experts would know someone has only a short space of time ScoobyOoby, it sounds as if having a chat with one of our Cancer Information Nurses on the Macmillan Support Line would be helpful. They would be able to talk this through as well as any other general medical questions you may have around your loved one’s diagnosis and prognosis.

We are also here on the Support Line to provide emotional support and a listening ear, and so please do know we are here to support you, and to try and help you and your family find your way through such devastating news. I am conscious that you received this news only yesterday and so you have not had much time, but have you been able to talk to anyone about how you are feeling at all ScoobyOoby?

You can contact the Macmillan Support Line 8am-8pm, 7 days a week on:0808 808 00 00 or via web chat. You may also want to pass on our details to your loved one ScoobyOoby so you can be assured that they have somewhere they can call for support or to ask questions

It’s really saddening to hear that you think you will be unable to visit your loved one due to Covid rules ScoobyOoby. Just in case you have not seen, the Marie Curie website has information on their website around visiting someone who may die soon during coronavirus which has links to rules on travelling as well as information on making a decision to visit and things to consider if you cannot visit which may be helpful for you and your loved ones.

Everyone is different in the support they need at a time like this ScoobyOoby but as I can see that you have joined a few groups on the Community it feels important to highlight our Supporting Someone with Incurable Cancer Forum as a place you may wish to connect with also if you would find it helpful to speak with other loved one’s coping with a similar experience.

I hope this information is helpful ScoobyOoby. Please do stay in touch as much as needed.

Take care

Jenna 
    Cancer Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.