I'm not sure if this is the right place for this

I had a pelvic MRI scan a few months ago as I have been having problems with my periods. when I spoke to a doctor about the results he told me that I'd been checked for ovarian cancer and that it was negative even though I hadn't been told that i was being checked for any type of cancer let alone ovarian cancer and that has left me feeling really worried about it now.

is this normal or am I being silly?

• Hello

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I can see that you have been worried about this. It’s understandable that you might feel that way when hearing the word ‘cancer,’ so you are not being silly, but it is best to talk about how you are feeling, so you have done the right thing getting in touch with us. It is good news to hear that the results were negative, but if you weren’t expecting to be checked for cancer, then it is understandable being told that may have come as a surprise.

It may help you to speak with one of our cancer information nurses on our freephone support line 0808 808 00 00 about this. It might be that a routine check was carried out following the symptoms you presented. If that is the case, our nurses can perhaps reassure you of that. They can also talk to you about how the process should work, and maybe answer any other questions that you might have.

We are certainly here to talk things through if you need to.

Take care

David

David, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

• Thank you for your reply, David.