Patient transport

Hi there I start my chemo on Tuesday.  My husband works away a lot and taxis are over £20 for one way   can I get patient transport to and from my chemo ??? Tracy 

• Hello TracyG1 and thank you for contacting the Macmillan online community.

Have you spoken to your healthcare team about transport to and from your treatment? Services tend to vary between healthcare trusts, and it may be multi pick-up / multi drop-off so it might not be suitable but it’s worth checking. 

You could also look at the Community Transport Association (CTA) website Tracy. They are a national charity that represents and supports providers of community transport: thousands of local charities and community groups across the UK that all provide transport services that fulfil a social purpose and community benefit.

The British Red Cross can provide help in some cases with transport, but this very much depends on the area. This includes a companion for a public transport journey, or a private car with a driver. Service users will usually be asked to contribute towards the cost but will not be refused the service if unable to pay.

You could also speak to your GP and local council about community-based organisations and local transport schemes which might provide transport support in your area.

We have a Money and Work team who can perform a benefit check for you and give guidance and information about what kind of benefits and/or grants might be available if you need to cover the cost of transport. You're welcome to call in on 0808 808 00 00 picking the relevant option.  They will need information about your income, outgoings and any savings/investments you might have.

How are you coping with your diagnosis just now Tracy? We’re here for your emotional support too so please stay in touch if you’d like to talk things through.

Alex, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

• Thank you for your swift reply.  Its appreciated and I will look into it xx