We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Ask an Information and Support Adviser

Our Information and Support Advisers, Alex, Ruth and Jenna, are here to answer any questions you might have. They can answer questions about the emotional impacts of cancer and offer practical tips. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Caring for a Chemo patient

AyresomeAngel
Posted by

I am carer and husband of a chemo patient. She has had one treatment. Over the last two days I have developed a tickily cough-in my throat, I do not have a temperature, should I remove ,myself from my wife, I fear this will have other negative effects. 

Ellen B - Macmillan

Hi ,

Thank you for asking a question in our ‘Ask an Expert’ session, the Community team appreciates that the current uncertainty may cause many to be concerned, and we understand that many members of the Community will want to ask our health care professionals here questions about Coronavirus.

In normal circumstances, we would forward your question on to our ‘Ask a nurse’ session for one of our Cancer Information Nurses to answer. Unfortunately, due to the number of questions being asked about Coronavirus, and the increase in demand on our services, have currently closed our ‘Ask a nurse’ session here on the site.

Instead we want to signpost you to the page on Macmillan’s website dedicated to Coronavirus and cancer for some information and support. If you click here you will also find the most up to date information from the NHS advice page.

If you feel it’s important to speak to a nurse over the phone, the Macmillan Support Line is open Monday – Friday 9am-5pm. Cancer Information Nurses, as well as other support professionals, will answer your calls and listen to your concerns.

You can call the Support Line free on 0808 808 00 00.

If you are concerned about the health of yourself or a loved one, we would recommend calling your GP, the NHS on 111 or your team at the hospital.

We hope that the above is helpful, but any questions or concerns you can email the Community Team at community@macmillan.org.uk

Kindest regards, 

Macmillan Community Team