We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Ask an Information and Support Adviser

Our Information and Support Advisers, Alex, Ruth and Jenna, are here to answer any questions you might have. They can answer questions about the emotional impacts of cancer and offer practical tips. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Diagnosed 2 days ago and don’t know where to start

Mherdemian
Posted by

Hi, I have been diagnosed with leukaemia on Friday and now at the hospital (Barts in London) waiting for further blood tests and results of the corona test before starting treatments. I’m french, 36 yo, I live in London and I’m a mother of 2 young children (3 and 6). I most probably have Acute myeloid leukaemia but yet to confirm. I don’t really have a specific questions - more like 10000! I’m looking for any type of support/ guidance. And I don’t know where to start...thanks a lot.

RuthS - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello Mherdemian,

Thank you for contacting the Macmillan Online Community.

I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis – I can imagine that this is a very difficult time, while you wait for results and an official diagnosis to come through. It is understandable that this would feel overwhelming, especially only a few days after hearing this news. You are bound to have so many thoughts and questions going round in your mind.

Firstly, Mherdemian, I wanted to check in with you – how are you feeling? How have you been coping since Friday?

I want to reassure you that Macmillan are here for you, especially at a time like this with so much uncertainty around. We’re here to support you emotionally, as well as to help and guide you with medical, practical or financial questions you may be considering at the moment. Take this at your own pace. It may be that one day you feel you’d like to be productive and get some answers, and another day you just need someone to be there to listen.

You’d be so welcome to contact us on the Macmillan Support Line to talk things through. We offer emotional support and a listening ear. It can be helpful to have someone impartial who is outside of family and friends to speak to and have open and honest conversations without any fear of worrying or upsetting anyone. We also have a team of cancer information nurses, for any medical queries around your diagnosis and treatment, and a Money and Work team who can give guidance on rights at work, benefits, grants and schemes, and also personal finance, such as mortgages, pensions and insurance. You can call us on 0808 808 00 00 – just now we’re open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. You can also email us, or contact us on our online chat facility here.

Mherdemian, do you have support around you in London, in the way of family or friends? I wonder if you’ve told anyone close to you about your diagnosis just yet? We have booklets that you might like to flick through on talking about cancer and talking to children – feel free to dip into these as and when they are relevant.

Some people find that writing everything down can be quite therapeutic, as well as helping to organise the thoughts in your head. Writing down all of your worries, concerns and questions, and putting them into some sort of order – categories or prioritising – can help you to work through them and find answers and reassurance. Would you like to try this here, and tell us a little more about the questions and concerns you are thinking of just now? We’ll do our best to point you in the right direction.

Most importantly, Mherdemian, try to be kind to and look after yourself as much as you are able to. This is understandably a difficult time, and I’m glad you have reached out for support.

Take care,

Ruth, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.