We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Ask an Information and Support Adviser

Our Information and Support Advisers, Alex, Ruth and Jenna, are here to answer any questions you might have. They can answer questions about the emotional impacts of cancer and offer practical tips. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Mental health post cancer treatment

Sabahsza
Posted by

Hi there, I would like to ask for some advice on mental health. I was treated for thyroid cancer last year, my whole thyroid was removed and neck dissection in September and underwent radioactive iodine treatment in December 2019. I was given the all clear in February 2020. I have a history of anxiety and depression since around 2013 but felt okay mentally after both forms of treatment but recently my mental health seems to be declining rapidly. Is there a link between the treatment and feelings of anxiety and depression or could it be that my hormones and thyroid function are unbalanced are are affecting my mental health?

Thank you

Sabah

RuthS - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello Sabahsza,

Thank you for contacting the Online Community.

I’m sorry to hear that following your treatment, you’ve noticed a decline in your mental health. Would you like to talk a little more about how you are feeling just now?

I wonder if you are currently receiving any support with the anxiety and depression just now?

I can see that you have questions mostly around whether there is a link between your treatment and mental health. In normal circumstances, we would forward your question on to our ‘Ask a nurse’ session for one of our Cancer Information Nurses to answer. Unfortunately, due to the number of questions being asked about Coronavirus, and the increase in demand on our services, we have currently closed our ‘Ask a nurse’ session here on the site.

You can call our support line to ask our cancer information nurses for more in depth information. The Macmillan Support Line is open Monday – Friday 9am-5pm, on 0808 808 00 00. You can also email our Cancer Information Nursing team by filling in this online form. Please bear in mind that due to the current situation with Coronavirus our phone lines are experiencing higher volumes of calls so it may not always be possible to speak with a nurse straight away. It may take longer than usual for our nurses to respond to emails. They are doing their best to respond to everyone, but are currently experiencing a higher level of demand on their service.

We’d also encourage you to talk to your GP or healthcare team about how you feel, so that they can offer their support too. Have you spoken to anyone else about how this is affecting you?

As you mentioned that you are struggling more just now, I wanted to check in and see if there was anything further we could do to support you with this. Remember that we’re here if you want to talk, on the number above, or if you prefer to write things down, you can contact us here, via email or using the webchat facility on the website – you can click on the support line link above to access this.

Take care, Sabahsza,

Ruth, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.