Ask an Information and Support Adviser

Our Information and Support Advisers, Rebecca and Alex, are here to answer any questions you might have. They can answer questions about the emotional impacts of cancer and offer practical tips. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Depression after lung surgery

Celtkof
Posted by

73 year old male had my op about 3 weeks ago on my left lung have been doing ok but I’m worried as I am getting depressed 

Natalie-Macmillan
Posted by

Good Morning 

Thank you for contacting us here on the Online Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling depressed.  It can be very difficult after an operation as it takes time to heal and recover.  Your emotions may be very up an down.

May I suggest that you speak to your GP about how you are feeling?  Your GP is the gateway to many of the services and support that you may need including local counselling, social services support and perhaps even local nurses that could possibly visit you at home.

You may find the booklet How are you feeling? useful.  This booklet helps patients in your position understand the emotional journey that you are on at the moment.  You may find it useful to find someone to talk to, is there a friend or family member who you can confide in? 

You are very welcome to call us between 8am-8pm everyday including weekends and bank holidays.  We can offer emotional, clinical and financial support.

May I suggest that you view the group Emotional Issues on our Online Community.  You may be able to talk to patients in a similar position to you.  

Nat
Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.