Self Employed .. CEO

My relative, runs his own business from home and on the road. He has been diagnosed with orsophafak cancer and will have to have chemo and a major operation in the New Year. He wants to try and continue working it delay chemo until the new year.

Is he entitled to any help financially?

Grateful for your advice

Thank you 

• Hi

Thank you for contacting Macmillan Cancer Support.  My name is Rachel and I am a Work Support Advisor on Macmillan’s National Support Line.

I’m so sorry to hear of your relative’s diagnosis.   It sounds like he is trying to explore practical arrangements ahead of the start of treatment.   We produce a publication called Self Employment and Cancer, which might be useful for him.  The booklet is for people who have a cancer diagnosis and are self-employed.  It includes practical information about cancer and treatments, balancing health needs and work, deciding who to tell and what to say to them, keeping the business operating and managing finances.

I can see that you have asked about how your relative might explore any financial support available to him. We have two teams on our Support Line that might be able to help.  Our Welfare Rights Team can help him understand what financial support might be available and also if there are any costs he may be able to get help towards.   This team is not represented currently on our Ask an Expert forum and would need to be contacted on 0808 808 0000, options 1, 2 and 3.  They can also be contacted via Live Chat and by email.  Their opening hours are 8am until 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Our Financial Guidance team (0808 808 0000, options 1, 2 and 1) typically speak to people who have mortgages, pensions, insurances or around estate planning.  This team are represented on the Ask an Expert Forum but can also be contacted by telephone on 0808 808 0000, options 1, 2 and 1.  Their opening hours are 8am until 6pm Monday to Friday.  They can also be contacted via live chat and by email.

Both teams would be glad to support your relative.

Best regards

Rachel, Work Support Advisor 

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.