Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Looking for work

Marthap
Posted by

Hi 

I'm looking for a temporary job ideally at the royal Bolton hospital to save up a deposit of 10,000 for a bungalow, as I wish to relocate to bla5at my last forever home.

I'm looking for light work only, something like cleaning tables, clearing rubbish. Maybe typing, administrative duties, postal assistant. 

I wish to do this under your service and under the supported permitted work rules. 

Can you point me into the right direction please. 

Su - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello ,

Thank you so much for your message about looking for work, ideally based at Bolton Hospital.

If your diagnosis was a cancerous brain tumour you are considered to have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 or Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (Northern Ireland). It may be that you are also protected under these acts if your tumour was benign, as it may be classed as being “long term” and “substantive”, cancerous conditions are automatically classed as disabilities. This means your employer should not discriminate against you because of your cancer. Your employer is also under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to help you at work. This protection is lifelong and does not depend on an active cancer diagnosis.

I have attached a link our booklet “Your Rights at Work’”, which explains more about the Equality Act and how you are protected in the workplace.

The protection you have under Equality legalisation is at all stages from recruitment right through to employment and is lifelong.

You mentioned that you wish to find work with Macmillan; I have attached a link to our careers pages on the Macmillan Cancer Support website. These are current vacancies within the Macmillan organisation. Some roles within Royal Bolton Hospital may be Macmillan funded opportunities however the employer may be the NHS trust, If this is the case, it would be helpful to look on the Royal Bolton hospital pages for current vacancies, linked here.

We can offer a lot of guidance during the recruitment process and if you have any further questions in this area please do not hesitate to get back in touch. There are employers who sign up to support a government scheme called “Disability Confident” where employers actively support recruitment for people classified as disabled under the Equality legislation. You may find the GOV.UK “Find a job” website helpful to search for roles with employers who are members of the “Disability Confident” scheme.

Another thing to consider is if you need extra employment support because of a disability, there is useful information on the GOV.UK website. Your local Jobcentre Plus can put you in touch with one of their Disability Employment Advisors. Jobcentre Plus offers a number of programmes and services to help those with disabilities and others who may need extra help in finding work.

In your message you mentioned “permitted work”, on the Work Support team we offer support relating to employment rights. Our benefits advisors in our Money and Work team can assist with queries related to permitted work and the impact this may have on your finances. Due to the confidential nature of the query and level of personal information our advisors may need to obtain it would not be appropriate to discuss this on the Online Community. Our benefits advisors are available Monday to Friday, from 8am until 8pm and Saturdays between 9am and 5pm on 0808 808 0000 selecting option 1, then 2, then 2. Alternatively, you can contact them directly via this link if messaging is preferred.

I hope you find this information helpful to your situation if you need further support please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Su

Work Support Advisor

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

Marthap
Posted by

Many thanks 

Marthap
Posted by

I've tried your links for vacancies. Unfortunately unsuitable for he and too hrs. I tried Macmillan hhe same again.

Su - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello ,

Thank you for your further contact regarding searching for job vacancies via the links I provided you with previously.

I am sorry to hear that currently there are no suitable vacancies for you. Jobs are added on a regular basis so please do keep an eye on these pages as something suitable may come up.

If you need any further support, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Su

Work Support Advisor

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.