Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Help with work

Hatch
Posted by

Hi I need help I was told last year I had terminal lung cancer I’m taken time of work to do more treatment this year work are not paying me sick pay this time round as I haven’t done enough hours since being back. I’ve looked on line but very confusing so needed some help please. 

Polly - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello Hatch,

Thank you for contacting us via Ask the Expert

I am a work support advisor on the Macmillan Support line. I advise cancer patients and their carers about their employment rights.

When you mention that you have not done enough hours this year to receive sick pay, does this mean that your employer has sent you the SSP1 form and they are not paying Statutory Sick Pay?

If yes, then there may be benefits that you can claim. Please call the Macmillan Support line on 0808 808 0000 and speak to a Welfare Rights Advisor option 1,2,2. Our lines are open from Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.

It is important to remember that as you have a cancer diagnosis you are considered to have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 (the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 if you live in Northern Ireland). This means your employer should not discriminate against you because of the cancer, and your employer is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to help you at work.  This protection remains in place for as long as is needed. If you feel that you want to know more about how this protection works, please let us know. Please see our resources https://be.macmillan.org.uk/be/s-719-people-affected-by-cancer.aspx

Polly 

Work Support Advisor
Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email