Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

RETIREMENT THROUGH ILL HEALTH

Shelleyyy
Posted by

After being diagnosed with ALL last year and spending months being treated in hospital, I have made the decision to apply for retirement from Police after working for them 39 years. Since then I have not heard anything from anyone other than when I chase them. I have just had to ring my consultants PA myself after being told that my medical report was requested three weeks ago. They have just told me that they have not received any request. Meanwhile I am not getting paid any longer. It seem that even though I work for a huge company they dont seem to know how to deal with my request and no one is taking responsibility. All this stress is not making me feel well. I am not a member of the union as it lapsed. What do you suggest my next step is?

Su - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us regarding your application for retirement from the Police and I am sorry to hear that no one seems to be taking responsibility for your request.

I understand from your message that your union membership has lapsed. In some instances, if you have been a union member for a long time and your membership has lapsed recently they may be able to re-instate this. It may be advisable to contact your union and see if this is a possibility.

With regards to your concerns that no one is taking responsibility for your request. If you feel that your request for retirement has not been actioned or dealt with appropriately, you may wish to consider raising a grievance with your employer. I have attached a link to the Citizen’s Advice relating to “Problems and Work”, this provided a step by step guide including how to raise a grievance. Your employer may have their own grievance policy and it would be beneficial to get a copy of this policy.

I would also like to make you aware that as you have a cancer diagnosis you are considered to have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 or Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (Northern Ireland). This means your employer should not discriminate against you because of your cancer. Your employer is also under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to help you at work. This protection is lifelong and does not depend on an active cancer diagnosis.

I have attached a link our booklet “Your Rights at Work’”, which explains more about the Equality Act and how you are protected in the workplace.

At Macmillan we have a team of experts relating to financial matters including pension and retirement options. They are part of the Money and Work team and are available on 0808 808 0000, Monday to Friday 8am till 6pm (by selecting option 1, followed by options 2 followed by option 1). I have spoken with the team about your query and they have advised that it would be helpful to speak to them directly, so they can offer all the support you need with this matter.

You mention that you are no longer being paid by your employer. If you are concerned about finances I would encourage you to speak with the Money side of the Money and Work team who will be able to look into what financial help you may be entitled to. The team is available on 0808 808 0000, Monday to Friday 8am till 8pm (by selecting option 1, followed by options 2 followed by option 2).

I hope you find this information helpful to your situation and if you need further support please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Su

Work Support Advisor

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.