Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Cancer information for employee with cancer diagnosis

spiregirl
Posted by

Is there a leaflet or some information you could send my employer about supporting me when I return to work. I'm worried I won't be able to fulfill my duties that I was doing before my hysterectomy and cancer diagnosis and if he knew before I return to work what his duties are as an employer employing someone who's been through cancer then he may not think I'm workshy. 

Emma G - Macmillan
Posted by

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting us on the Work Support Team. I can appreciate the worries you may have around returning to work and how it can feel concerning around what you may or may not be able to do. I hope the information I provide will be useful to you.

You may find it useful to order for your employer a copy of “Managing Cancer In The Workplace” to be sent either to yourself to pass on or to be directly sent to him. As you mentioned the booklet details his responsibilities as an employer. It also covers how cancer effects people on a physical and emotional level. We also have information for employers on our Macmillan website, as well as information for small businesses.

You mentioned your concern that your employer may think you are “workshy” and I am wondering if you have had a conversation with your employer that may make you feel this way? It may be useful to you to read our booklet “Your Rights At Work When Affected By Cancer”. The booklet details your right to request reasonable adjustments should you need them. Reasonable adjustments are changes or adaptations at work that might help you overcome any difficulties you face due to your cancer. For example, an employee may request a phased return to work, lighter duties, changes to hours or extra breaks as a reasonable adjustment. On their website the Equality Advisory and Support Service have a template letter you could use if you did wish to request reasonable adjustments. You may also find it useful to ask your GP to provide a Fit Note which details what adjustments you may need as medical evidence for your employer.

If your employer makes you feel uncomfortable, insulted or intimidated due to something related to your cancer then this may potentially be harassment. If you would like more advice around this, then please do give us a call.

You may also wish to direct your employer to our Macmillan At Work team. The team provide expert training, consultancy, information and support as well as resources you may find useful. You can contact them via email or call them directly on 0207 840 4725.

I do hope this is the kind of support you were looking for. If you do need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Emma
Work Support Advisor
Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email