Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 3 working days.

Financial support

Posted by

I had been working overseas for 9 years until June 2017, and  am a house owner in the U.K. I understand I cannot claim DLA, I’m not terminal so I’m aware that I don’t need PIP. 

By june 2019 can I then claim DLA? I have been employed in the U.K. for 14 months, and have paid 30 years NI. I don’t have any savings. My partner can’t claim caters benefit for me as I’m can’t claim any benefits. It all seems very unfair 


Ellen B - Macmillan

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for posting your question here to our Work Support Advisers. I hope you don’t mind me responding here – my name’s Ellen and I work on Macmillan’s Community team. I noticed your question is about financial support – I’m afraid this isn’t something our Work Support Advisers would be able to support you with; however, we do have a team of financial experts who will be able to help you.

I wonder whether you might find it helpful to give our Support Line a call? We have a team of experts who’re there for emotional, practical and financial support. We have a team of Welfare Rights Advisers who can talk to you about what benefits you might be able to claim as well as talking through any other financial support that might be available. The Support Line is available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00. I’d recommend giving them a call between Monday-Friday as that’s when our financial team is available.

I hope this helps, but if you’d like any further information then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Best wishes,


Community Team