We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 1 working day.

Industrial injury compensation,re bladder cancer.

Posted by

I'm a seventy years old retired rubber industries worker.

I worked with Dunlop/Angus in the manufacture of Hydraulic Hoses in the 1970s.

During this employment I was using chemicals which are now known carcinogens.

Can I claim industrial injury from the Government as the companies are not in existence now.

Sian R - Macmillan
Posted by

Hi ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to get in touch with us about your situation. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Our role is to provide information on rights at work for people with a cancer diagnosis in employment. As your query is outside our remit and you have mentioned that you worked for Dunlop/Angus making hydraulic hoses in the 1970s, please find below a link on Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) which can be claimed in certain instances. The Gov.uk website has some information on this benefit which you may find useful. Or if you would like to call us, the Macmillan Support Line also has specialist Welfare Rights Advisors who can advise you further on this benefit and also check whether there may be any other potential financial help you can access. Our number is 0808 808 0000 – option 1 followed by option 2 - and we are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm. Please do have all your financial details to hand though as they’ll need these to do a full check. If you find it easier to speak to someone in person, in some areas we also have face to face Benefit Advice Services who could help you.

I hope this is the support you are looking for, however if you need anything else then please do reply and let me know.

Work Support Adviser
Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.