Ask a Work Support Adviser

Questions about work and cancer? Our Work Support team are here to answer your questions. They'll aim to respond within 3 working days.

Questions about work and cancer?

Ellen B - Macmillan

Our Work Support Team are here to answer any questions you might have. They'll aim to respond within 3 working days.

Ellen B - Macmillan

The session is open.

Midnightfish
Posted by

Had a craniostomy jan 18 2018. Just before jan 18 this year i was 'invited'  to an informal meeting to discuss having exededed my sick leave..i had taken 3 months off afer sugery but no other sick leave since. ..i have 2 more brain tumours which will need treatment..i am scarred of loosing my job as a part time health care assistant workink for the nhs...can they do this?

Lemonade
Posted by

Hi I too work for NHS and have attended 3 sickness reviews. The last one in January. HR never turned up at the last one yet I had got a taxi to work i was not feeling great either. 

My advise is go to citizens advise or look at ACAS who have info online. 

If your ina Union get them to attend meetings with you.They can’t sack you without trying to offer you reasonable adjustments either phased return redeployment etc. Once they have offered this and you can’t  work they can I think sack you on competency lines. I think I’m right but they are brutal I feel I am sick of the way I have been treated wages have messed up big time yet they don’t give a ...

anyhow if I was you get to know your employment rights as cancer comes under the disability act  even when recovering and bk at work. 

Good luck xx

J.a johnston

Midnightfish
Posted by

Hi Lemonade

Thanks for advise..couldnt understand as i had been through all the meetings before and after surgery passed by occ heath ..whose recommendations were blatently ignored. I had phased return and returned to my regular part time shifts only to receive this letter giving 30 minutes warning of the meeting.

I have pending gamma knife due for which ill need at lest 2 weeks off..was wondering whether 'nhs staff sacked for having brain tumours treated' could seriously go to tribunial..or how it would look in the public media?

Thanks ,will try citizens advise..good luck to you too..are you still working?

Midnightfish