Lasting Power of Attorney

Looking at a recent question about LPA, given that we have bank accounts in our joint names would this suffice? My husband is declining rapidly and I’m not sure I could get an LPA in time.

  • Hello ,


    I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s situation, must be a lot going on for both of you just now.

    Having the bank account in joint names allows you to access any funds coming into the account. Whether this is sufficient depends very much on your own personal circumstances.

    The Property and Financial Affairs LPA gives an attorney the power to manage all of the donor’s financial affairs including buying and selling property and investments, applying for benefits, running bank and savings accounts and managing tax affairs. So it covers a lot more areas than just the bank account.

    However, there might be other alternatives to consider depending on what you and your husband’s needs are.

    We often find the best way to give you this information and guidance is to talk about your specific circumstances over the phone. This allows us to find out more about your situation and tailor our guidance to your needs.


    Our freephone number is 0808 808 0000. The financial guides are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm although our lines remain open until 8pm for other services. If you decide to call just select options 1, then 2 and then 1 again to get directly through to our team.

    All the best,

    Chris Harrower

    Financial Guide


    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of  buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -

    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

    If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate adviser.



    DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT: We have used your details to fulfil your request and recorded them on our database so that we can provide you with the best possible support every time you contact us.

    We promise to always keep your details safe and we will never sell or swap your details.  If you wish to update or remove your details, please let us know anytime by emailing or calling 0300 1000 200.

    Please see our privacy policy for more information at