motor insurance

My licence to drive is suspended,due to brain tumours,I own a car parked on the public road,no insurance due to condition,police insist car must be insured,hope to drive again in jan/feb 2022,any idea,s?

  • Hello

    Sorry to hear about your situation. This must be very difficult for you but hope that we can help with some information.

    It is true that whilst a car is still ‘on the road’, for example, parked on a public road, that it still needs to be taxed and insured. However, if you’re able to park it on private land, the same rules don’t apply. Is it possible for you to park your car somewhere off road, maybe at a relative’s home or with a friend if you don’t have anywhere near your house?

    If you can get it off the road, you could make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). The SORN lets the DVLA and the police know that the car doesn’t legally need vehicle tax, an MOT or insurance because it’s not being kept or driven on public roads. The owner of the car can even get a refund for any full months of tax remaining. However they must keep the vehicle either in a garage, on a driveway or on private land and not on a public road, pavement or public car park.

    See the government website to register a vehicle as off the road:

    or this can be done via the DVLA vehicle service on 0300 123 4321.

    A car doesn’t legally have to be insured while it has a SORN, but it’s important to think of the implications of not having car insurance. The vehicle wouldn’t be covered for fire, theft or accidental damage. SORN insurance, sometimes called laid up car insurance, can still be obtained for a vehicle while it’s off the road. This type of insurance does not cover anyone for driving, so the SORN would need to be cancelled and regular car insurance bought before the vehicle is taken out on a public road.

    As with standard car insurance, the cost of laid up car insurance will depend on various risk factors, such as the type and value of the car, where a person lives and their claims history.

    If you have no choice about leaving the car parked on the roadside, you will still need to tax it and get standard car insurance.

    It’s always best to shop around when obtaining quotes as they can vary from company to company. If you’re struggling with finding an affordable quote, try a local Insurance Broker to search a wider market. We encourage people to speak to their family and friends to see if they can recommend a broker, or to see a list of qualified brokers in the local area, visit the British Insurance Brokers Association website:

    Please come back to us if you’d like to discuss further or have any other questions about your personal finances.

    Kind regards.


    Financial Guide

    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.



    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -

    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.