My mum has early stage of liver cancer

Hi was wondering if you could help me. My mum has very early stage of liver cancer. Friday 10th September 2021 I drove my mum to Leeds hospital where she is being treated for this as our local hospital can not deal with it my mum does not drive. 

I am now her carer and I drove her to the hospital. I claim UC and carers allowance I paid for the petrol and parking. Who has to claim for the petrol and parking is it my mum or myself?. I have had a look at a form and it says a low income and to claim for heath costs. I don't need to do this I was just wondering which form I need to claim it back.

  • Hello 


    Thank you for your message. I’m sorry to hear about your Mum but hope that her treatment goes well.


    Your question would be best answered by one of our benefits advisers, however they’re not available on Ask an Expert just at the moment. They can be contacted on 0808 808 0000 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday or between 9am and 5pm at the weekends. Alternatively you can talk to them using our webchat facility here by selecting “Chat to us” and then the “Welfare Benefits & Grants” option.


    You’ll need to have some financial information ready about your mum’s situation and also some details about her health. They may also need information on your own situation to make a full assessment.


    If you later need some support with any personal finance questions, such as questions on mortgage, pensions or insurance policies, please feel free to come back to us here, or we’re also available on 0808 808 0000 or on webchat.


    Kind regards.


    Financial Guide
    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -

    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

    If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate adviser.