Documentation required

After handing in my resignation at work today due to an review in life expectancy last week I was contacted by an area manager to suggest remaining in employment being signed off again and claiming a benefit of income protection insurance provided by them. He is aware of the changes to life expectancy and also aware that I will at no point be looking to return to work but believes this route would not only continue to provide an income but also it would allow my family to benefit from a death in service payment. He mentioned whilst telling me this that I would require a sick line from my doctor and a letter outlining the the diagnosis and prognosis to submit to the team for processingthe claim.  Is this standard and will the dr know what they need to put in a letter or is there a form I should be requesting?

• Hello Mint_Obsession,

Thanks for your enquiry. I’m sorry to hear about the current situation but hopefully we can provide some support at this difficult time.

Just to clarify, the Financial Guidance Service can provide information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas;

• Pensions and retirement options
    • Questions about insurance policies
    • Mortgages and money management
    • Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family
    • General financial planning questions

I would suggest giving us a call so we can discuss your situation fully and go through the options your area manager has discussed. We can discuss any other areas of your finances that may be relevant too.

Our freephone number is 0808 808 0000. The financial guides are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm although our lines remain open until 8pm for other services.

You can also talk to us or via our webchat service.

Kind regards.

Will Quinn

Financial Guide

The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website - https://register.fca.org.uk/directory/s/.

The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

If you need more details on your rights, please contact an adviser or solicitor.

Will
    Financial Guide

The Financial Guidance Service will not recommend that you buy, sell or cancel a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably qualified and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.