Hi, my partner has had a total larygectomy and now faces radio and chemotherapy.

As we do not live together I have never got involved in his finances. I have now discovered he has not completed tax returns for 3 yrs!

Does this stop me applying for help and where could I get help to sort his taxes out. He is self employed so now has no income?

  • Thankyou
  • Hello


    Thanks for getting in touch and I’m sorry to hear about your partner’s diagnosis.


    The best way to discuss what help you and your partner may be able to receive will be to contact our Welfare Rights Team on 0808 808 0000. They’re available weekdays 8am – 8pm and weekends 9am – 5pm or you can contact them via webchat here.


    When someone has an issue with tax, the first step is usually to contact HMRC. For self-assessment queries the number is 0300 200 3310. An accountant, or tax adviser can also help give support and advice. You can find an accountant here, or family and friends may be able to give a recommendation.


    There is also a charity called Tax Aid who offer help to anyone on a low income who have an issue which can’t be resolved by HMRC. More details about them can be found here.


    I hope this helps you make a start, when you get a chance please give us a call on the number above and we’ll discuss what help is available.


    Hope to hear from you soon.




    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -

    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

    If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate adviser.


    DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT: We have used your details to fulfill your request and recorded them on our database so that we can provide you with the best possible support every time you contact us.

    We promise to always keep your details safe and we will never sell or swap your details.  If you wish to update or remove your details, please let us know anytime by emailing or calling 0300 1000 200.

    Please see our privacy policy for more information at

    Financial Guide
    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.