Carers allowance


My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in august last year. He is 88, lives on his own in a property he owns outright. He doesn’t receive any benefits. I have been furloughed on 80% of my salary and am is sole carer. Would I be entitled to any carers allowance. I’ve looked on the government website and it’s not very clear.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

kind regards 

  • Hello


    Thanks for getting in touch and I’m sorry to hear about your Dad’s diagnosis.


    To find out if you’re entitled to carer’s allowance I’d like you to speak to our Welfare Rights Team. They’ll be able to do a full benefit check to let you know everything you’re each entitled to after your Dad’s diagnosis. You can speak to them on freephone 0808 808 0000 or on webchat here and they’re available Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm and weekends 9am – 5pm. When you speak to them they’ll need some information about household income, savings and outgoings so please have these to hand.


    If you need any support with personal finances such as managing any money owed (credit cards/loans for example) or any information about products like insurance policies or help with estate planning (will writing etc.) please let me know and I’ll be happy to help.


    Hope to hear from you soon.


    Kind regards,




    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of  buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -

    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

    If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate adviser.


    DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT: We have used your details to fulfil your request and recorded them on our database so that we can provide you with the best possible support every time you contact us.

    We promise to always keep your details safe and we will never sell or swap your details.  If you wish to update or remove your details, please let us know anytime by emailing or calling 0300 1000 200.

    Please see our privacy policy for more information at

    Financial Guide
    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.