Sick Notes and Universal Credit

I have notified my work coaches at the DWP that I have suspected bowel cancer (yet to be confirmed through my GP and the hospital though I have had many tests and examinations over the last 5 weeks.  My various hospital, blood test, doctors and chemists appointments have ate into my job search time and the DWP is insisting I get sick notes while my GP seems to think that can wait till later.  My condition itself has left me short of breath after even short bursts of physical activity and I was told I look really pale - as my respiration is affected, I'm also therefore in greater danger if I was to get Covid and my city (Preston) is a high incident area. With doctors not allowing unappointed walk ins, hospitals seeing it as a GP's job to sort out sick notes, how can I best get assessed to see if I am entitled to a sick note and actually get someone to sort one out for me before the DWP starts messing with my Universal credit entitlement or threatening me with sanctions or worse? 

• Hello Forester42,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I’m very sorry to hear about your current situation, if you’d ever like a chat about how you’re feeling please get in touch – we have lots of support available here not just financial.

To discuss your question regarding Universal Credit, as well as checking to see if there’s any other support available – I’d like you to speak to our Welfare Rights Advisers. They’re available on freephone 0808 808 0000 Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm and Saturday 9am – 5pm.

If you’re struggling with keeping up on payments for any money you owe, such as a credit card or loan please let us know as hopefully, we can provide some information that may help. The same goes if you have any questions about personal finances, such as any pensions you haven’t yet accessed or insurance policies you have etc.

Alternatively you can also talk to us or the welfare rights team via our webchat service.

Kind regards.

Will Quinn

Financial Guide

The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.  

The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can find a local financial advice firm on the Financial Conduct Authority's website - https://register.fca.org.uk/directory/s/.

The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

If you need more details on your rights, please contact an adviser or solicitor.

Will
    Financial Guide

The Financial Guidance Service will not recommend that you buy, sell or cancel a specific financial product from any company. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice and we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell or cancel specific financial products, you should speak to a financial adviser who is suitably qualified and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

• Thank you, I have now finally got a sick note through, covering me from 12th to 31st October - hopefully this will satisfy the DWP and I can update things depending on my health and outlook from 1st November onwards - I may well talk to your welfare team in case there is anything else I need to cover though too, thank you - Arthur