Ask a Financial Guide

The Financial Guides can answer any questions you might have relating to your personal finances. This includes any questions you might have about Pensions, Mortgages, Insurance and Estate Planning. They'll aim to respond within 2 working days.

Travel insurance

redhens1
Posted by

Hi are there any companies that offer good priced travel insurance for people with stage 4 cancer? I am 2 years on from treatment and the cancer is stable although not gone completely. Thanks

Liam W - Macmillan
Posted by

Hello

Thanks for your message.

We aren’t able to offer any direct recommendations of companies, however you can look at this page on our online community. Here other people who have needed to find cover with a cancer diagnosis, have shared their experiences and names of companies they’ve personally used and found supportive. This can help you get a head start in finding the names of some companies who may be able to cover you.

When you’ve got some names together from the above, it’s worth trying as many of them as you can. Each company will have their own underwriting criteria, which means if they agree to offer cover then the cost of it could vary quite widely place by place.

It’d also be worth making sure you don’t have any existing cover in place through a bank account or credit card, though if you do make sure you phone the provider and check they would still be able to cover with an existing condition.

If you’re planning to travel within the European Economic Area or Switzerland it’s also worth taking your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) with you. It’s free and lets you use state-provided healthcare on temporary stays in these countries, which will either be free of charge or reduced cost depending on the country (including treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during the visit.)

However it’s very important to let you know that the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. If you need private medical healthcare, to be flown back to the UK, are on a cruise or other circumstances too then it wouldn’t cover you. So it’s important to have travel insurance too. Also some parts of the European Economic Area may not have state-provided healthcare available. Keep in mind too that the UK leaving the EU may affect how the card works, so check this with government guidance if going on holiday or you will be abroad after October 31st 2019.

Best of luck in your search, I really hope you’ll be able to get some cover and enjoy a trip away. If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Liam
Financial Guide
Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.