How pets help us in the time of covid 19

• 7 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Here is a link to a guardian article and associated comments. Some of the comments made me laugh, and it is good to have acknowledgment of what an important animals play in our lives

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/pets-helping-coronavirus-crisis-animals

• We have always wanted a dog and as soon as the current nonsense has concluded we are off to get a puppy. Only problem is that my wife wants a cockapoo and I want a staffy. Looking at your forum name you will agree with me I hope?

• Hi ,

I love most dogs, and in my adult life have had 9 so far. ( usually two at a time). I never liked staffies much, but when my 2 rescue greyhounds died, i went to rescue place and said I was looking for a pair of older, low energy, dogs as I was still working. They kept pointing me to 2 older staffies who had been found abandoned together 2 years before! After walking them a few times and returning with my son, I agreed to give them a go. They have been the funniest, friendliest, most devoted pair I have ever had. Completely changed my mind about staffies.I only have one now, as my old Boris ( he came with that name, I would never ever have chosen itUnamused), died in November age 14 after 4 years with me. Matilda aged 12 goes on for now. The rescue places are full of staffies for no fault of their own, so if you can go for a rescue first , they do have  puppies and young dogs as well as older ones. Probaby lots of cockapoos in rescue too as people get fed up with them. Good rescues will try to match you to the right dog for your lifestyle. Hope once we are out of lockdown, you can get a dog to enhance your life. I am looking forward to returning to my weekly walking for a greyhound rescue kennels, as my old Matilda can only walk for about 50 yards now. 

• Well, ownedbystaffies, I think to be one of your dogs would be like Xmas every day. What a life you have given and are still giving to these animals.

My wife may win the argument because the dog is anticipated to take my place in her affections when things eventually go pear shaped for me but she could well have her mind changed! Of course one of each from a rescue would be the icing on the cake.

I looked at your profile and agree with you about working, It is a bugger not doing it anymore isn't it, I miss it every day. I used to keep popping in to see people but I think as I was expected to have died quite quickly it did confuse them and they didn't know what to say so I have given those excursions up now! Here's to a longer future for you , me and the dogs.

• Hi ,

Thanks for that. My dogs have all given me as much as I have given them i think - fitness, affection, security etc. If you and your wife havent had a dog before, just a word of warning, puppies are harder work than babies! The objection to rescue dogs is often that you dont know their backgrounds, but that is not always true - often they have had to be given up for reasons like bereavement, landlord being a bastard etc. And decent rescues do get to know their dogs and their traits.

In terms of looking after your wife when you are not there, i'd definitely go for a staffie - much more intimidating to most people even if they are as soft and daft as brushes. They just look "hard". Hopefully that is not for a good while. And on another note, cockapoos were just good old mongrels in days of yore ( and all the better for a mixed gene pool). I think I took to retirement quite quickly, so this lockdown feels ok except for the lack of lunches, coffees and rescue dog walking! My colleagues still keep in touch so I can enjoy their company without the stress of managing them!

Stay safe.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Hi Norberry 

You could compromise and go for a Staffy Cockapoo cross. You could call it a Cockapooy or a StackapooJoy

Georgie 

• I tell you what GeorgiePorgie, you may well have solved our difficulty.

It would look a bit unique I think but so do I!

I hope your new life brings the happiness you deserve. It is not the womans fault when things go pear shaped, the man has always forgotten that the vows meant something. All the women who post on here are the pick of the crop and show every virtue there is. Our chum daloni is a prime example and should never feel at fault. If I get into trouble saying this I will take my staffypoo and never post on here again, so there.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Unique is the best way to be. Who wants to be the same as everyone else?

When life knocks you down all you can do laugh,  pick yourself up, and move on.

Georgie