Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Stop talking about it, just go do it!

20160816_143529
    Medicine!

"yes, we must do this one day ......." and then we don't! We're all guilty of it aren't we?

For years Chris and I have discussed travelling around the coast of Scotland and we're just back from a fantastic holiday where we saw some wonderful scenery. And we did the Edinburgh Tattoo on the way there! Yet another ....... "we must do this one day......."

I've even…

• Neuroendocrine is not your average cancer but it can be pretty 'mean'

Most people have perceptions of cancer in their heads, fairly fixed perceptions too.  They think about all the stuff they see daily on TV, in the main press, and people they know.  The 'big cancers' set the scene.

Most doctors know about the big cancers.  They also know how to treat them, many of them have a fairly fixed regime of surgery/chemotherapy/radiotherapy.  Many survivors will have side effects…

• Please vote for my blog

Hi there - I've been nominated for 6 awards in the WEGO Health Activist Awards 2016.  The 6 categories are:

Best in Show Blog

Best in Show Facebook

Best in Show Twitter

Health Activist Hero

Rookie of the Year

Best Community

Many of my blogs are on this community site and many of them reference back to Macmillan.  My home page also contains references to Macmillan who featured some of my blogs as a guest.  I hope you…

• Neuroendocrine Cancer - were you irritated by your misdiagnosis?

Look on any site about Neuroendocrine Tumours (NETs) and you'll find the term IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) frequently mentioned. That's because it's a common misdiagnosis for many before being formally diagnosed with NETs.

But what exactly is IBS, why is it such a common misdiagnosis for many NET patients and how can these misdiagnoses be prevented or reduced in future?  I just spent a few hours doing an online…

• Exercise and Cancer: Forward is Forward

One of the very first blog posts I wrote was about exercise. Basically I said it was medicine.  I have not changed that view, I really believe it.  All cancer patients should attempt to keep active and this is even more important if you are being treated for long-term cancer. Why? Because keeping active will not only help your physical condition but it will also help you cope mentally. There are numerous pieces of research…