Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• NET Syndromes – chicken or egg?

We’ve all heard the age-old question about the chicken and the egg?  Scientists claimed to have ‘cracked’ the riddle of whether the chicken or the egg came first. The answer, they say, is the chicken. Researchers found that the formation of egg shells relies on a protein found only in a chicken’s ovaries. Therefore, an egg can exist only if it has been inside a chicken. There you have it!

On…

• Neuroendocrine Tumours – Carcinoid Crisis

NET Patient Foundation wallet card (example guidance)

The word ‘crisis’ has a wide range of meanings and it’s well used in the media to catch the reader’s attention. Lately, the terms ‘political crisis’, financial ‘crisis’ and ‘constitutional crisis’ appear almost daily in media headlines. In a previous life, the term ‘crisis management’ was used daily…

• Neuroendocrine Cancer: Hurry up and wait

When I was diagnosed with metastatic Neuroendocrine Cancer on 26 July 2010, I just wanted them to hurry up and fix my body so I could get back to normal. That's what happens to cancer patients with distant metastases is it not? My expectations of what should happen turned out to be wildly inaccurate and in hindsight, I was also wildly naive. You see, with Neuroendocrine Cancer, particularly well-differentiated, low or…

• Neuroendocrine Cancer – Exciting Times Ahead!

In the last 12-24 months, there seems to have been announcement after announcement of new and/or upgraded/enhanced diagnostics and treatment types for Neuroendocrine Cancer.  Scans, radionuclide therapies, combination therapies, somatostatin analogues, biological therapies, etc.  Some of the announcements are just expansions of existing therapies having been approved in new (but significant) regions. Compared to some other…

• One every 2 hours

neuroendocrine-cancer-incidence-rate-england

I've made no secret of the fact that I don't believe Neuroendocrine Cancer is rare and you can read why in some detail in my blog Neuroendocrine Cancer - not as rare as you think.  Even today people are quoting SEER figures dated 2004 for today's incidence rates.  'Do the math' please!

Meanwhile...... the figures from Public Health England (covering ~90% of UK), indicates there are now 4000…