Forums

Help

Find out how to use our Online Community, and get your questions answered.

can lung cancer shrink without treatment

No. of entries: 6 | Posted on 26 Oct 2013 08:26

can lung cancer shrink without treatment

This question is not answered

ok about 5 weeks ago i went into hospital with pneumonia and a plural effusion which was drained and showed no cancer cells but was infected i also had fever and was put on  iv antibiotics after the week on  antibiotics the doctor said he thinks something else is going on here and sent me for a ct scan which showed a 4cm mass in my lung near my heart and my lymph nodes were enlarged, i was then told by two doctors that it looked like cancer but a third doctor came in to see me and said i was a very intreresting patient and all the doctors can not make there mind up with you but i think its not cancer but a cyst that you might have been born with,so two weeks later i go for a ct guided biopsy and the doctor phones me up 4 days later and says the results were negative for cancer and the mass had shrunk and it probably is not cancer but infection and i need more antibiotics and he will phone me back when he has got the results from the microbiologist,so then he phones back about 2 hrs later and said the only bugs that grew in the sample were normal bugs that grow on your skin and i will have to have more tests done and dont need any antibiotics .....does this look like cancer or not can cancer shrink in only a couple of weeks and if the biopsy was negative how come i need more tests and maybe another biopsy even tho the radiologist said it was a good sample.....i would welcome any ones thoughts thanks paul

All Replies
  • Hi Paul,

That's a difficult one to answer! The signs are (to me - and remember I have NO medical qualifications at all) that you don't have cancer. I haven't heard of a cancer shrinking of its own accord only a couple of weeks after it's been seen/suspected. Of course miracles can happen and I wouldn't rule it out, but given that you've had a serious infection in your lungs, I'm more inclined to think that this "mass" is connected with that rather than anything more sinister.

The reason so many tests are needed is because clinicians need to know exactly what they're dealing with before they can prescribe treatment. If it is cancer, it can be one of a number of types, each of which needs a specific type or combination of drug(s). Tests are also needed to "stage" a cancer, again so that treatment can be tailored precisely.

I do hope you get your tests soon and that they will all be negative for cancer. Keep your spirits up, and do come back and let us know the results.
    Love & hugs,

Twirly xxx

• hi twirly thanks for your reply i will post back when i get more results ...the last month has been hell for me, one day it looks like i have lung cancer i had all the symptoms coughing up blood ,short of breath ,loosing weight, cough that would not go away,chest pains,and then this 4cm mass they found on the ct scan i was convinced it was cancer and had prepared myself for the worst..and now it looks like it might not be cancer i am emotionally drained

thanks again take care

Paul xxx

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll keep everything crossed for the best news. I can imagine you've had a month of sheer misery thinking the worst, but all those symptoms you describe seem like classic pneumonia to me. Hang in there. See you later.

Love & hugs,

Twirly xxx

• i went to see the consultant today and he said there is two options either watch and see or have the mass removed....the mass is near my heart ...he said the biopsy showed signs of inflammation but no cancer cells, i said but the mass has shrunk hasn't it and he said yes a little, who told you that  the radiologist   like i was not to know.. i was not sure i just said the person who phoned with the results ..any thoughts of the best move i would welcome should i get it removed or watch and see?

thanks Paul xxx

• Hi Paul,

Well it's all a bit vague, isn't it? The best news is of course that there's no sign of cancer, but that makes me wonder what else it might be - maybe a benign cyst or something like that? is there any info. about this?

Did the consultant tell you anything about risk of "watch and wait", compared to the risk of surgery close to the heart? It seems to me you haven't got enough facts to be able to make an informed decision. Did the consultant seem to favour a particular course of action?

Sorry about all these questions, but I wouldn't dare try to advise you at the moment, it's all "ifs and buts" to me. I'd suggest you have a chat with one of the experienced nurses here at Macmillan tomorrow, I think you'd get a much clearer picture of your options.

Love & hugs,

Twirly xxx